Submitted by NancyA on 19 April 2007 - 3:51pm.
My parents were both Hungarian and my mother was a great cook. This is one of her favorite Hungarian dishes to prepare.
- 2 lbs. chicken, cut up and skinned
- 1 Tbs oil, butter, or margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- ½ pint light cream
- large sauce pan
- Dice onion and simmer in the oil, butter, or margarine.
- Add chicken pieces and brown for a few minutes.
- Add the water and seasonings.
- Simmer slowly until chicken is tender.
- Stir in flour until sauce is no longer lumpy.
- Add cream and stir well.
- Serve with dumplings (recipe is in this book as well).