Just “2” Good Ribs
As with any ribs done right this will take a little time, but it is worth the investment. This recipe is a hybrid of many and it seems to work well. As for where the name came from, you will get a clue from the measurements.
- 2 racks baby back ribs (about 1 ½ lbs each, 3 lbs total)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Worchester sauce
- 2 Tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ Tbsp ground coffee
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp corriander seeds
- 2 tsp coffee beans
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Large baking sheet
- Heavy-duty Aluminum foil (regular is fine but double)
- Cast iron pan (preferred) or sauté pan
- Spice grinder or motar & pestle
- If using grill, prepare coals.
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- When hot, add onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Cook while stirring for about 6-7 minutes. The sauce will be very thick.
Prepare spice oil:
- Place cast iron skillet over low heat.
- When hot, place coriander seeds, coffee beans, and black peppercorns in skillet.
- Stir and watch carefully so the spices don’t burn (this will take about a minute).
- Remove from heat and put spices in grinder.
- Grind to a nice powder.
- Place spices in bowl and add cinnamon, cumin, curry powder, cocoa powder, and paprika.
- Whisk in virgin olive oil.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place ribs on lined baking sheet (you might have to cut rib racks to fit).
- Brush both sides of rib racks with spice oil.
- Wrap the each rib rack tightly in aluminum foil and place back on baking sheet.
- Place in center of pre-heated oven and bake for 2 hours.
- When 2 hours are up, remove ribs from oven and carefully unwrap the ribs and place on baking sheet to transfer (they will be hot). Slather barbeque sauce with brush making sure to do both sides.
- Place grill rack about 4-5 inches above heat source (the coals should be medium-hot). Oil grill rack.
- Grill ribs for about 5-6 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Remove from grill and place on platter. Season with salt.