Mixed Grain Roast
This is one of the easiest recipes for a tasty and nutritious vegan/vegetarian main meal. Once tried, for that enforced vegan dinner party, I am sure you will add it to your range of regular family meals.
I have not put in any quantities, as each time I make it, they vary accoring to what food I have in the house. So just use the basic idea, experiment and enjoy. I do!
- Millet, Quinoa or Cous Cous
- Olive oil
- Other vegetables (to taste)
- Sunfolwer, golden linseed and sesame seeds
- Gram flour
- 1 Egg (if not vegan)
- Steamer or sieve
- Frying pan
- Oven dish (shallow)
- Cook grain in steamer and leave to cool
- Saute onions, adding carrots and other vegetables
- Add salt and season to taste
- Drain off excess liquid
- Add handful of sunflower seeds
- Stir in cooled grain
- Add beaten egg (if not vegan)
- Mix in gram flour to make a firm mixture
- Put mixture into lightly oiled prepared dish
- Sprinkle linseed or sesame seeds on top
- Place in medium/hot oven for about 45/60 minutes
- Allow to cool before slicing
What you should know
Don’t cook mixed grains together, as they take different lengths of time. Steaming is generally preferable, as boiling grains in the water can make them stodgy.
This dish can be serve cold or for a tasty hot snack the sliced roast can be place for a while under the grill.
As a drink accompaniment, try a light Speyside malt whisky with a vanilla nose and grassy taste, with a splash of chilled water, see Whisky & Food for more details