Southwestern Red Rice
Submitted by John on 28 March 2008 - 7:53pm.
A great side to accompany great meals from the grill.
- 2 Tblsp butter
- 2 Tblsp onions, chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in ½ cup water
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 dashes Tabasco or favorite hot sauce or to taste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tblsp red bell peppers, diced
- 1 Tblsp fresh Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Medium sauce pan with tight fitting lid
- Over medium high heat melt butter. Sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the rice. Add the tomato juice, water with bouillon cube, chicken stock, hot sauce, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove from heat and quickly add in tomatoes, and red peppers and quickly replace lid. Let sit 20 more minutes (do not lift lid during this time.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve.