In the west, Wonton soup is probably the most famous of all Chinese soups. The wonton dumplings can be prepared ahead of time, dusted with cornflour, and kept in the fridge - or for bulk runs, frozen until required. Be sure to use a good quality chicken stock - this is after all the foundation of the dish. I recommend TELMA - it is available in almost all countries.
- 375g (13½oz) Pork Fillet or Loin
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 6 Slices Ginger
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 Small Carrot
- 30ml (2Tbs) Hoisin Sauce
- 15ml (1Tbs) Oyster Sauce
- 15ml (1Tbs) Cornflour
- 48 Wonton Skins
- 1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
- 1500ml (6 cups) Chicken Stock
- 30ml (2Tbs) Light Soy Sauce
- 30ml (2Tbs) Rice Wine or Dry Sherry
- 5ml (1Tsp) Roasted Sesame Oil (white)
- 15ml (1Tbs) Cornflour
- 2 Spring Onions, greens only, cut into rounds
- Food processor
- Wok or large pot
- Place all the ingredients (except the wrappers & the egg) in you food processor and chop until fine. Place the mixture in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Unpack and separate the wonton skins, and cover them with a damp tea towel to prevent them from drying out. Working with one skin at a time, orientate the skin to face you diagonally - place a slightly heaped teaspoon of filling in the centre of the wrapper. Brush the top edges of the skin with the egg, and fold the bottom corner upward to meet the top corner. Press to seal. Brush the side corners with egg, and fold them inward to overlap the front of the dumpling. Fold the top corners down behind the dumpling. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers.
Cook the dumplings
- Fill your wok/pot halfway with water and bring it to the boil. Add the dumplings, and boil for 5min. Remove the dumplings from the water and divide them amongst the soup bowls.
- Combine the stock, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, and cornflour in your wok/pot.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, add the chopped spring onion greens, stir to combine, and pour over wontons.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
What you should know
You are advised to download this video should you internet connection not handle the direct streaming.
Using quality ingredients will ensure a quality result - here are some recommended brands: Stock -TELMA
Soy, oyster & hoisin sauce - LEE KUM KEE
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.
Try to buy roasted white sesame oil - the black equivalent is not as flavourful.
Rice wine is substitutable with a good quality dry sherry - the end result will be identical.