Home

Pumpkin Bread - the sugarless variety

I hope someone can help me! I have been scouring recipe books from my local library, countless magazines and the net to find a sugar-free pumpkin bread but to date, all I have found are pumpkin breads laden with sugar!!! I am not overly fond of sugar, and would really like to come across a recipe for pumpkin bread that does not have this as an ingredient.

Re: Pumpkin Bread - the sugarless variety

Jill,

May I ask if it is sugar you are trying to avoid or the sweetness? Would a recipe that perhaps substitutes honey as a sweetener work for you? or are you looking for a pumpkin that is not sickly sweet?

In response to your query, Andrew, I am trying to avoid sugary foods AND the sickly sweet taste of many such foods. If I have to add sugar to any recipes, I prefer to use an alternative, like honey but even then I do so under duress! As for pumpkins, I love them! Pumpkin soup, pumpkin quiche, pumpkin scones..and yet I can’t find a recipe for pumpkin bread without the sugar… So would appreciate it if anyone could help me there!

Thanks again!

Cheers Jill

Jill, I have a couple of recipes that I will be testing. I never post a recipe without trying them myself. I will update you on the results. Help is on the way!

Many thanks, John! Having just read your message, I’m beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel in my quest for sugarless pumpkin bread, and I await the results of your “test” recipes with keen interest! Thank you again!

Jill, Sorry for taking time to get back to you. Well after experimentation I found that some trace of natural sugar brings out flavor of the pumpkin and spices. I put up this recipe for you: pumpkin bread. Look at “what you should know” for my recommended adaptation. I don’t know if maple syrup is readily available where you live, but it was my choice for the not-so-sweet natural and enriching flavor. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Hello there, John!

First of all, many thanks for taking the time to post a Pumpkin Nut Bread recipe which I am really looking forward to trying out this coming weekend! Yes, we do have maple syrup here so shall be using that. I rather like the thought of adding spices and nuts to the recipe, give it more flavour.

Last weekend, I ventured a sugarless Pumpkin Bread recipe from a magazine and it was a flop. Too dry, too bland and hard as a rock - not one of my better successes, I can tell you!

So again, thank you for this recipe and I shall certainly let you know my opinion of it after this coming weekend!

Cheers!

What if we try pumpkin bread in Honey?