Pumpkin Nut Bread
This recipe makes a moist loaf reminiscent of banana bread. But this bread has a warm mixture of pumpkin, spices, brown sugar, and molasses.
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin or 1 15 oz. can (not spiced)
- 1 cup molasses*
- 1 cup brown sugar*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 2 large bowls
- 2 medium (about 8 ½ by 4 ½ inches) baking pans, greased and floured
- Cooling racks
- Plastic wrap
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl stir together the eggs, buttermilk or yogurt, oil, pumpkin, molasses, and brown sugar together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flours, salt, baking soda, and spices together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Fold in the optional pecans or walnuts.
- With spatula, scrape the batter into two prepared baking pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick or wooden skewer comes out clean. Remove form oven and let cool in the pan for four to five minutes.
- Remove the loaves from pans and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once the bread is cooled, wrap and refrigerate.
What you should know
*To make a bread that is less sweet reduce molasses to ¼ cup and in place of brown sugar replace with 2 Tblsp honey or maple syrup.