Home

Flavour to my shnitzel

This evening I made a version of chicken schnitzel with my kids. We seasoned some flour, dipped the chicken in it, then egg, then matzo meal. I shallow-fried them and they were almost delicious.

My question is this: does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might provide more flavour without covering them in salt? Thanks.

Re: Flavour to my shnitzel

What exactly is wrong with “covering them in salt?”

One of the secret to delicious restaurant food (and I’m not talking about the Cheesecake Factory) is salt and fat. They use it. And they use it well.

Well salted food should not taste salty. That is overly salted food. But salt absolutely brings out the flavors of food, and also acts to marry flavors together. Marcella Hazan has written extensively on this.

Her recipes may be a bit over the top for everyday cooking, but her technique is unimpeachable. And her writing is excellent.

Tell me what you eat, and I’ll tell you who you are.

I agree with you and would slather my own in salt. Unfortunately, my children’s mother frowns upon a liberal use of salt for them. I’ll check out your source and throw it at mum if I think it will help. Many thanks.

Bring out the herbs! Crushed dry rosemary is especially tasty. Also try garlic, basil, thyme, and “Italian Seasoning” (pre-mixed dry herbs). When you fry, add a touch of butter for flavor, though be careful it doesn’t burn. Finally, in my opinion, the best thing on chicken is black pepper - just the right amount really brings out the flavor!

Great suggestion. I love seeing what’s available and what catches my attention in the spice cabinet. For frying in butter I would recommend either clarified butter or adding a touch of olive oil to your butter to keep it from burning too easily.

I have to say I like Andrew’s recipe for Chicken cutlets. The flavor enhancer here is Parmesan.

It may sound odd…but I substitute lemon juice for salt almost all the time…in anything…batter included.

Lemon juice for salt — sounds interesting. May I ask if you do this to avoid excess salt or because you love the flavor of lemon? Being a lemon lover myself my inclination is to add lemon and salt.

Both. I like to avoid salt simply (being a sensitive woman) to avoid bloat and puffiness…and I love the taste of lemon and have found it to actually enhance other flavors and balance sweetness. Taste some salt…then taste some lemon…and you’ll notice they are very similar on the buds. Can’t go wrong with both though…and herbs…mmm…nuff said.

I agree with beth, don’t forget the herbs. I always add salt and pepper, and herbs to my flour. I also find instead of dusting with seasoned flour, try seasoned cornstarch.

In the egg mixture befre u dip it into the crumbs, you could put Lemon juice. Another great tasting one, is after the crumbs are on, just get some crushed garlic and smear it on. U could also had some rosmary. Hope this helps.

What a great suggestion. Thanks!