Down on the farm apple pie
When it comes to apple pies you will usually find two types of methods. The first method is that the filling is cooked and cooled before adding to the crust, then baked. The second method is the ingredients are added raw to the crust and the pie is then baked. This recipe is the latter.
- Pie crust for 9” pie.
- 2 lbs apples (about 6 cups) peeled, cored, and sliced thin.
- ⅔ - ¾ cup light brown sugar (amount depends on sweetness of apples, i.e., sweeter reduce amount)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 ½ Tbsp butter
- 9” Pie plate
- Wooden spoon
- Pastry brush
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare pastry by rolling (you can ignore this if using pre-made pastry) out half of pastry and lining 9” pie plate.
- In bowl, add sugar mixture.
- Add apples to bowl and stir to coat well with sugar mixture.
- Add liquid ingredients to bowl and stir once more.
- Add apple mixture in layers and dot with butter.
- Roll out other half of pastry and place as cover over pie.
- Seal edges and cut vents in top.
- Brush top lightly with milk.
- Bake pie for 40-50 minutes or until golden.