Minted English Pea Soup
Submitted by John on 5 March 2008 - 7:01pm.
This is a great soup anytime of the year. Even with buttermilk, it is only 4 grams of fat per serving. Serves about 6.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 cups of peas, shelled fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 3 Tblsp fresh chopped mint leaves
- ⅔ cup buttermilk (well-shaken)
- 3 oz prosciutto, thinly sliced and chopped
- Fresh chives, chopped
- 2 Medium saucepans
- Immersion blender or food processor
- Heat oil in saucepan over low heat, add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add peas and stock and bring to boil, add mint and then reduce to simmer and cook uncovered until peas are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn off heat and puree soup with immersion blender or in small batches in food processor and strain into clean saucepan.
- Heat new saucepan slowly and add buttermilk. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Heat soup until it is hot but do not let it boil.
- Serve soup garnished with chives and prosciutto.