Tomato sauce for pizza
Submitted by Andrew on 7 May 2007 - 3:59pm.
Making a sauce for pizza is simple and fun. All you need is a few basic ingredients and a little time.
- 2-4 lbs plump tomatoes, cored and cubed
- ½ onion, chopped small
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1- clove of garlic, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Dutch oven or large pot
- Trenched cutting board
- Large bowl
- Wood spoon
- Core and dice the tomatoes on a trenched cutting board. Save the cut tomatoes and the juice in a large bowl.
- Coat the bottom of the Dutch oven or large pot with olive oil and saute the chopped onion over a medium low heat until they have turned soft and translucent. (about 10 minutes)
- Add the minced garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, a few additional touches of olive oil and simmer for ½ to 3 hours.
- Add Parmesan, basil, salt & pepper to taste.