Tomato, Tofu & Macaroni (Vegan Mac & Cheese)
Submitted by John on 13 May 2007 - 3:06am.
Everybody in the world needs some form of mac & cheese. It’s like serving a smile on a plate. My friend gave me this one to try. This will make about 4 servings.
- Vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked macaroni or pasta
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp chives, minced
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup cold vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded tofu cheddar (soy cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 ½-quart baking dish
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Sauté pan
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly oil baking dish and place cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- In a sauté pan, bring sherry to a simmer.
- Add green onions & sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and chives. Sauté 2 minutes until tomatoes are slightly softened.
- Add to pasta and give a quick toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch in cold broth until dissolved. Add to sauté pan.
- Heat to simmering. Whisk in tofu cheddar and cook over low heat until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in mustard, pepper & salt.
- Place in baking dish. Top with bread crumbs.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes.