Vegan Tomato Soup
Heres a simple soup designed to warm the kindest of hearts. It’s flavorful and easy to make. You can also freeze it for when tomatoes are not in season.
- 3 to 5 lbs tomatoes, stemmed and cubed
- Olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Basil, chopped (to taste)
- Dutch oven or soup pot
- Immersion blender, blender, or food processor
- Coat the bottom of the dutch oven with olive oil.
- Sweat onions and garlic in the oil over medium low heat. This will take about 10 minutes for the onions to turn nice and soft.
- Add tomatoes and another healthy pour of olive oil. Raise heat to medium and stew for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once tomatoes are soft remove pot from heat and blend.
- Add salt and pepper and stir into soup. Adjust to taste.
- Add chopped basil and serve.
What you should know
I’ve heard of some people who like to mix in a touch of soy milk into the soup to cut the acid of the flavor. Try it in a small bowl and see.