Vegetarian Groundnut Soup
The specialty ingredients in this african influenced soup are worth the hunt. Makes about 4 servings.
- 3 Tbsp groundnut paste*
- 1 ½ quarts vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 slices of fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or¼ tsp dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups diced white yams*
- 10 small okras, trimmed (optional)
- Large saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Place groundnut paste and tomato paste in a bowl.
- Whisk in stock to create a smooth paste.
- Add paste to sauce pan over heat.
- Add onion, ginger, thyme, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, and remaining stock.
- Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for about an hour. Whisking frequently to prevent from sticking.
- Add white yams and , if using, okra. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
What you should know
*Groundnut is another name for peanuts. You can find the groundnut paste, which is not as sweet as regular peanut butter, in health food stores. If you are in a pinch you can use peanut butter.
*White yams can be found in Latin food markets.