Armenian Beet Salad
This is one of my favorite dishes from the Armenian market across the street…a good Russian woman also made this for me often…I have now started making my own version, which includes much more garlic, cashews and an addition of raisins…I don’t measure this recipe…so just add slowly and see what you like…enjoy!
- Fresh beets (about 3-4), peeled and cooked (boiled 2-3 hours depending on size)
- Fresh garlic
- Raisins (get the good kind, from a farmers market or dried fruit store they’re bigger and better)
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic press
- Big pan
- Big serving bowl (make it pretty)
- Big spoon
- After beets are cooked, let them cool. Shred them with a cheese grater, into bowl.
- Press a few cloves of garlic, and add…I use A LOT.
- Crush some cashews, or just buy them that way…add.
- Add some raisins.
- Add yoghurt and mayonnaise (use the 3 to 1 ratio…yoghurt being more…usually about a half cup yoghurt and a couple heaping tablespoons mayo)
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Chill for 20+ minutes…and…enjoy!
What you should know
The more garlic the better! Don’t be shy with the cashews either. Use the whole milk yoghurt. It should be creamy…and delicious. This is a common dish in Armenia and Russia.