Spicing up the daily veg is always a challenge. Doubly so when you want to let the natural flavors speak for themselves. So here’s what I do when I want to add a little zing to string beans.
- Green beans, wax beans or any kind of string bean
- Slivered almonds
- Dab of butter
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pot of boiling water
- Bowl of ice cold water
- Sauce pan
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Wash and stem beans.
- Boil beans on high heat a few short minutes (until partially cooked.)
- Pour beans in colander to remove water and then shock beans in ice water.
- Once beans are cool pour through colander to remove ice water.
- Saute beans with a dab of butter.
- Add almond slivers, pinch of salt and squeeze of lemon.
What you should know
Shocking the beans in the ice water helps preserve the brilliant natural colors.