Ah broccoli — cooks quick, tastes great and rarely needs to be tarted up. But if you are looking to add a little flair to this perennial favorite without drowning it in a heavy sauce, then give this recipe a try.
- Broccoli crowns
- Dash of olive oil
- Pine nuts
- Asiago cheese
- Pot of boiling water
- Bowl of ice water
- Frying pan or skillet
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Clean broccoli and cut into bite sized crowns.
- Boil broccoli on high for a few short minutes. Be sure not to overcook. You want to remove the crown while they are still firm.
- Pour broccoli in colander to remove hot water and then shock the broc in the ice water.
- Once the crowns are cool pour through colander to remove ice water.
- Toast pine nuts in skillet over a medium heat (about two minutes.)
- Add olive oil and saute broccoli with the pine nuts.
- Remove to serving dish, dust with asiago cheese.
What you should know
Broccoli cooks fast so keep a wary eye while par-boiling.