Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki sauce
Ever the procrastinator in law school, I compiled a notebook with recipe clippings. My grades settled to the middle of the pack, but I graduated with one fantastic cookbook. I hope you enjoy this healthy and delicious recipe as much as we do.
For the Souvlaki
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- ½ pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 -inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into (½-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
For the Tzatkiki Sauce
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 gallon zip-top plastic bag
- Grill pan or bbq
To prepare the souvlaki
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag.
- Add chicken to bag, sealing and shaking to coat.
- Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken from bag.
- Discard marinade.
- Thread chicken and zucchini, alternately onto each skewer.
- Heat a bbq or (I think less preferably) a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add skewers and cook, turning once.
To prepare tzatziki sauce
- Combine cucumber, yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 garlic clove in a bowl. Stir well.
- Serve the tzatziki sauce with souvlaki.
What you should know
Serves 2-3. Squeeze excess water from shredded cucumber or tzatziki will be watery. Goes well with pita bread and greek salad.