I love good hummus and contrary to David’s opinion (see his recipe “Posh humous”) fresh hummus is better than store bought and you get a better deal than those over-priced tuna can size portions. Anyway, this is one of the best accompaniments to have with hummus. Pita is good but this is better!
- ⅓ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ⅔ cup virgin olive oil
- 6 small pita rounds
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Cayenne pepper
- Mortar and pestle
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush
- Airtight container
- Preheat broiler.
- In mortar, place sesame seeds and fresh thyme and lightly crush with pestle.
- Stir in poppy seeds, parsley, and olive oil.
- Gently split pita rounds in half and brush cut side with oil mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and place under broiler until they are brown and crisp.
- Dust with cayenne pepper to taste.
- Remove and let cool.
- Store in airtight container.