Submitted by John on 6 December 2006 - 8:53pm.
Here is a twist on a classic Italian cookie, CHOCOLATE! Who doesn’t love this dynamic duo. Makes about 24.
- 1 ¼ cups blanched whole almonds
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Slivered almonds for garnish
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper or Silpat mat
- Electric mixer with whip
- Food processor
- Pastry bag with ½ inch, plain tip
- Wire racks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place blanched almonds on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown (be careful not to burn them). Remove from oven and let cool.
- Reduce oven to 325°F.
- Line baking sheet.
- In food processor, process the almonds with half of the superfine sugar until they are finely ground but not oily. Transfer to bowl.
- Sift cocoa and powdered sugar over almond mixture and set aside.
- In electric mixer, whip egg whites to they get foamy and add cream of tartar. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle superfine sugar a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until egg white are glossy and stiff. Beat in almond extract.
- Dallop egg whites over almond-sugar mixture and gently fold until just blended.
- Place in pastry bag fitted with plain ½ inch tip. Pipe 1 ½ inch rounds on prepared baking sheet.
- Garnish with a slivered almond into the center of each.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheet for 10 minutes. With spatula transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
What you should know
Click here for more delicious desserts.