Coconut & Chicken Soup
Submitted by Al Dente on 1 April 2008 - 10:12am.
This is a delicious soup that my wife taught me how to make. It is infused with the flavors of Thailand. It takes a while to make, but it is well worth the effort.
- 2-3 Tbls butter (unsalted)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 knob of ginger root, skinned and minced
- 2 tsp Thai green curry paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 14 oz coconut milk (canned is okay — fresh is delicious)
- 12 oz spinach
- 1 to 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbls fresh lime juice
- 2 lime leaves, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbls canola oil
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- handful of purple Thai basil, roughly chopped
- Frying pan
- Paper towels
- Melt butter in large pan or Dutch oven over a medium heat.
- Add onion and ginger. Sauté until soft (4-5 mins). Add garlic and sauté for another two minutes.
- Add tumeric and curry pastes and cook for two to three more minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, lemongrass and lime leaves. Simmer until chicken is tender (15-20 minutes).
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add spinach to soup and cook for another five minutes. Add fish sauce and lime juice
- Blend the soup with immersion blender.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and return to soup.
- Just before you are ready to serve, heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat.
- Cook the shallots until golden brown (About 5 minutes).
- Remove shallots and blot dry on paper towel.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with fried shallots and rough cut Thai basil.
- Sit back and enjoy!
What you should know
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.