German Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkohl mit Äpfeln)
Submitted by John on 8 May 2007 - 4:49pm.
Cabbage is a favorite in German cooking. The tart, sweet taste, pairs great with grilled meats and sausages.
- 5 cups red cabbage, washed, cored and shredded
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter plus 1 Tbsp
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 6 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp honey, or red current jelly
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- ¼ cup flour
- Large sauce pan with lid or Dutch oven
- Medium sauté pan
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add cabbage and cook gently. Stir in red wine, vinegar, juniper berries, cloves, bay leaf, some salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add honey or red current jelly to taste.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in medium sauté pan.
- Dust apples with flour, then add to sauté pan and cook until golden brown.
- Add apples to cabbage and serve.