Grandmas' Yellow Cake
I have had a lot of people ask me for a good, moist cake. My grandmother always found this one tried and true. This recipe makes 3-8” cakes for a great layered cake. My favorite frosting with this cake is chocolate.
- 1 cup butter and some extra for greasing pans, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Mixer with paddle
- Paper towel
- 3-8” cake pans
- Cooling racks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8” pans.
- Mix milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract together.
- Add butter and sugar into mixer bowl, cream until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until incorporated.
- With mixer on low speed, alternate milk mixture and flour to mixing bowl, starting with milk and ending with flour.
- Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tester into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in the pans for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
What you should know
If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can make your own. For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Sift together.