This is a firmer chocolate frosting that goes great with a classic, yellow cake or for that matter, any cake. This recipe makes about 2 cups frosting.
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 stick (4oz) butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Double boiler
- Serrated knife
- Cutting board
- Mixer with paddle
- Heat water in double boiler.
- Chop chocolate with serrated knife into small pieces (about ⅛”-¼”).
- Cut butter into small pieces.
- Add chocolate and butter to double boiler, stirring for about 2 minutes until chocolate is melted.
- Remove top from heat.
- Sift powdered sugar, a little at a time, into chocolate. With spatula, stir for several minutes until sugar is incorporated. Don’t worry if it at first looks lumpy, it will smooth out as more sugar is added.
- Spread on cake.
- If you want to make ahead, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Will hold for about 2-3 days.
- To use from refrigerator, place in mixer with paddle and beat for 4-5 minutes.
What you should know
If you don’t have a double boiler, place a heat-proof bowl (Pyrex or stainless steel) over a medium pan of simmering water.