Submitted by John on 18 December 2006 - 8:38pm.
It is amazing what you pay in the market for these little morsels. So here is a recipe that will give you more “bang for the buck”. This recipe makes about 2 cups.
- 2 cups whole almonds
- ¼ sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Baking pan
- Medium sized bowl
- Small bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Wax paper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place almonds on ungreased baking pan in a single layer and place in oven.
- Stir occasionally until nuts turn a light brown in the inside (10-11 minutes depending on oven. Test by breaking almond open to look for color). Be careful not to burn, because the nuts will continue to cook once removed from oven.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Mix sugar and salt in small bowl and set aside.
- In saucepan add, honey, water, and oil and stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add almonds to pan and continue to cook until liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to medium sized bowl and sprinkle with sugar mixture and stir until the nuts are evenly coated.
- Spread nuts out onto waxed paper and let cool.
- When cool store at room temperature in tightly covered container for up to two weeks.