Insalata Caprese (Traditional Caprese Salad)
I like this salad anytime I can find great tomatoes (especially when heirlooms are in season). It’s simple, it’s easy and it’s a great starter with wine. This makes enough for 4.
- ½ lb fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Serving platter
- Arrange on platter, alternating tomato/mozzarella in circular pattern.
- Tear fresh basil leaves and garnish over alternating slices.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, drizzle on some extra-virgin olive oil.
What you should know
Yes, traditionally, no vinegar of any kind goes on Insalata Caprese! If you drizzle with balsamic vinegar, I won’t tell.
Insalata Caprese should never be allowed to sit in oil for any length of time, it will become soggy. Sometimes capers are added to this salad.