From an old recipe book, “Old Time Recipes”: “Old fashioned jam cake with its fruity flavor is a treat that is hard to beat.”
I remember my mom making this cake and how very delicious it was, especially since I helped pick the blackberries. Occasionally I bake it up for my kids and old time memories.
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 well-beaten eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blackberry jam (or other favorite jam)
- Recipe calls for 2 greased and floured (cast iron) skillets, though 2 round cake pans will work too. Heat oven to 250°F for cast iron, 300°F for cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add beaten eggs.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternating 1 cup milk and 1 cup blackberry jam.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured skillets until cake tests done.
What you should know
Optional: Caramel Filling: Place 2 cups sugar, 1 cup top milk, and 1 tsp white corn syrup in heavy skillet or sauce pan. Boil to soft ball stage. Add butter the size of a walnut. Let cool and beat. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake. Enjoy!