Roquefort Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
Submitted by John on 27 June 2007 - 7:51pm.
This is one of my favorite variations of Devils-on-Horseback. But instead of prunes, dates are used and pungent blue cheese is added for a counter to the sweetness. Make about 24.
- 24 large dates
- 24 blanched almonds
- 12 strips of slab bacon (I like applewood smoked bacon if you can find it), strips cut in half
- Strong blue-veined cheese, crumbled (i.e., roquefort)
- Baking sheet
- Slit dates down one side and remove pit.
- Place an almond and a piece of blue cheese in slit.
- Squeeze to close.
- Wrap stuffed date with bacon and skewer with toothpick and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, turning once until bacon is golden and crispy.
- Serve hot.