Maybe it’s a winter time thing, but even in Los Angeles I sometimes get a craving for tomato soup and grilled cheese. This is another of those wonderful recipes that is open to interpretation. If you don’t fancy onions then leave them out and if you’re feeling in need of a little comfort then add some extra cream.
For maximum comfort serve with grilled cheese cut into finger sized portions appropriate for dunking.
- 3 to 5 lbs tomatoes, stemmed and cubed
- Olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cream
- Basil, chopped
- Dutch oven or soup pot
- Immersion blender, blender, or food processor
- Coat the bottom of the dutch oven with olive oil.
- Sweat onions and garlic in the oil over medium low heat. This will take about 10 minutes for the onions to turn nice and soft.
- Add tomatoes and another healthy pour of olive oil. Raise heat to medium and stew for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once tomatoes are soft remove pot from heat and blend.
- Add cream, salt, pepper and stir into soup. Adjust to taste.
- Add chopped basil and serve.
What you should know
An immersion blender is the easiest way to blend the soup. A regular blender is a good option. A food processor requires some care to keep soup from spilling over the top.
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.