Chesapeake Crab Fritters
These little fritters pack the taste of the Chesapeake Bay region into tasty little morsels. This recipe makes about 8 servings.
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 ¼ cups flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tblsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tblsp dry sherry
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 3 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed from cob
- 1 lb crab (blue crab)
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup Smithfield ham, small dice
- 3 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- Deep fryer or cast iron dutch oven
- 2 large bowls
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven (about 1 inch deep) to 375°F.
- Dry ingredients:
- Sift flour and baking powder into large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, Old bay Seasoning. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Wet ingredients:
- In separate bowl, add milk, oil, and sherry. Set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk smooth.
- Add garlic, scallions, ham and stir to combine.
- Fold in egg whites until just combined.
- Drop by Tablespoonfuls into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden and completely cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
What you should know
If the batter is a little too runny, add a little more flour. But, It shouldn’t be too thick.
Find more delectable PARTY RECIPES here.