This festive appetizer, which is great for a Fourth of July gathering or a Chinese New Year celebration, looks just like a firecracker. In China firecrackers light up the sky on New Year’s Day. Prepare it a day ahead and save the frying step for just after your guests arrive.
- 12 large shrimp, in the shell
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic salt, divided
- 4 sheets spring roll wrappers
- 24 carrot strips (3” x ¼”)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 3 cps vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Wok or deep-fat fryer
- Bowl for shrimp
- Small bowl for egg
- Pastry brush
- Small bowl for dipping sauce
- Paper towels
- Removing the shells an leaving the tail intact, make a deep cut lengthwise down the back of each shrimp; wash out and the sand vein.
- Place warm water in a bowl and add the salt; stir to dissolve. Place the shrimp in the salt water and swirl. Leave the shrimp in the slat water for 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water, drain, and pat dry on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon garlic salt.
- Cut each spring roll wrapper into thirds, making 3 long narrow strips,.
- Brush the egg at the top of the shrimp. Place 2 carrot strips in the slit of each shrimp.
- Brush each spring roll strip with egg and roll each shrimp up tightly in the spring roll strip, with the egg holding it together. The tail of the shrimp should be protruding from one end and the carrots from the other — to resemble a firecracker! Continue the process until all the wrappers are rolled with the shrimp and carrots
- To make a dipping sauce, in a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce. Set aside.
- In a wok (or deep-fat fryer) heat the vegetable oil to 350°F. Fry the shrimp rolls until golden brown, about 2 minutes, turning 2 to 3 times. Drain on paper towels. Serve with the dipping sauce.
What you should know
I have reprinted this recipe from my book Everyday Chinese Cooking. I hope that enjoy this recipe and consider purchasing this book which I co-wrote with my mother Leeann Chin.
Find more delectable PARTY RECIPES here.