Phyllo Vegetable Strudels
This is an elegant way to serve seasoned vegetables. As always you can always add or subtract vegetables that are in season.This, along with a nice salad, makes a great meal. Makes 4 servings.
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 2 Tbsp melted margarine
- 2 Tbsp margarine
- ⅓ cup finely diced potatoes
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- ½ tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp garam marsala (Indian spice blend)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ oz okra, sliced
- 1 ¼ cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 oz firm tofu, diced
- Cookie sheet
- Large sauté pan
- Moist towel
- Cutting board or flat surface for preparation
- Pastry brush
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 2 Tbsp margarine in sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add potatoes and leek to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes while constantly stirring.
- Add garlic, tumeric, garam marsala, chili powder, okra, mushrooms, tomatoes and tofu.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, while stirring for 5-7 minutes, or until tender.
- On cutting board or flat surface, layout phyllo dough.
- Place moist cloth over phyllo so that they don’t dry out while working.
- Take out sheet of phyllo and brush with melted margarine. Take out another sheet and stack on top of previous sheet and brush with margarine. Repeat until you have a stack of 4 sheets. Make 4 of these 4 sheet stacks.
- Spoon a quarter of the filling in the center of one of the stacks. Brush border with margarine and fold short sides in. Roll lengthwise to form a long roll. Place on cookie sheet. Brush outside with margarine. Repeat with other stacks.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
What you should know
You can find garam marsala in specialty or foriegn food markets or, make your own.
Phyllo dough is usually found in the frozen foods section.