Purple Cabbage Salad
Submitted by BunnyR2 on 28 March 2007 - 8:59pm.
This is a delicious salad that can be prepared early in the day and kept in the refrigerator.
- 16 oz shredded purple cabbage
- 1 can (11oz) mandarin oranges, reserving the juice
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1 8 oz bag shredded carrots
- 1-2 handfuls of dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 4 Tbs. brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cube parve chicken flavor bullion
- ¼ salt or 1 tsp consommé powder
- 4 Tbs. red or white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. reserved mandarin orange juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Bowl or serving dish
- Jar or cruet
- Place cabbage, scallions, pine nuts, carrots, oranges, and cranberries in a zip lock bag. Set aside.
- In a jar or cruet, mix the dressing ingredients. Close and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour over salad. Refrigerate to let the flavors mix for at least 1 hour.
What you should know
You can prepare early in the day for dinner that night.