Roast Leg of Lamb
This is a delicious and simple recipe that is perfect for special occasions and large family gatherings. The balsamic glaze is outstanding on all cuts of lamb and really sings with this recipe.
- 1 leg of lamb (bone in)
- 5-10 cloves garlic
- 5-10 sprigs of fresh rosemary (approximately 2 inches in length)
- Balsamic glaze for lamb, (make a double batch)
- Large roasting pan
- Roasting rack
- glazing brush
- Tin foil for tent, if necessary
- Meat thermometer
- Make several small 2 inch deep slits into the lamb. Insert one garlic clove and one rosemary sprig into each slit.
- Place lamb on roasting rack and using your brush liberally paint the leg with a thick coat of balsamic glaze.
- Marinate lamb in balsamic glaze for up to one hour prior to cooking (if time allows).
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 475°F.
- Paint the leg with another coat of balsamic glaze.
- Roast lamb in oven at high heat 475°F for fifteen minutes. Cover the top of the lamb if it begins to burn.
- Reduce heat to 325°F and cook until the internal temperature reaches 155 F (approximately 20 minutes per pound.)
- Add an additional coating of glaze every twenty minutes or so.
- Remove from oven and let sit for at least ten minutes prior to serving.
What you should know
Be sure to make a double order of Balsamic glaze as the large leg soaks up a lot of the glaze.