Of all the vegetables in all the world, broccoli is surely the most maligned. This succulent stalk need not be drowned in a heavy sauce or boiled into oblivion. Rather a luxurious steam bath will release that tender flavor.
- Broccoli (⅓ lb per person
- Pot of boiling water
- Bamboo Steamer, Steamer, or even a plate*
- Wash and cut broccoli into bite sized pieces.
- Steam broccoli over a pot of boiling water (roughly 4 minutes)
- Cook to desired tenderness (I like al dente) by taste testing a small piece every few minutes.
- Remove to serving dish.
- Add a pinch of salt and serve.
What you should know
- if you don’t have a steamer you can always put a heat-proof plate inside a large pot and fill with enough water to boil but not so much that it will spill over the lip of the plate. Place broccoli on plate, cover and steam.